How to install Android 4.0.3 (CM9 Alpha 0.5 newest) on HP TouchPAD

DiggDeliciousRedditShare

Update: December 23, 2012: CM9 Alpha 0.5

News: After 3 days of using it, I realize it runs smoothly and fast.

Pin is quite good but less energy than on WEBOS

Fixes some of the bugs.

The kernel should not crash as often and there aren’t as many graphics glitches.

Titanium Backup has not yet worked.

Markets from CM7 do not work, use Rom manager to install gApps for CyanogenMod 9 & fixer.

hp touchpad android

Instruction:

1. Make sure Java is installed on your computer

Visit the Java download page from your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer and download and install the latest version.

2. Install Palm Novacom driver:

Novacom driver

Download from download the .jar file from Google Code

3. Download ACMEINstaller, Moboot, ClockworkMod & optionally gApps:

Download all the files you are going to need:

1. ACMEInstaller2 Click and download!
  2. update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-alpha0.5-Touchpad-fullofbugs.zip Click and dowbload!
  3. update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip Click and Download !
  4. moboot_0.3.5.zip Click and Download!

gApps for CyanogenMod 9 Click and Download!

4. Copy and paste ACMEInstaller2 downloaded recently into : C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc

5. Connect HP TouchPad to your computer and select USB mass storage mode (USA Drive)

Like the following image:

6: Copy necessary files (downloaded recently) into HP Touchpad:

After connecting your Touchpad to your computer and selecting USB drive, Touchpad’s hard disk drive appears.

Create a folder-renamed cminstall in Touchpad’s hard disk drive

And then copy the next files into the folder cminstall:

1. update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-alpha0.5-Touchpad-fullofbugs.zip
  2. update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip
  3. moboot_0.3.5.zip
  4. gApps 4.0.3 11.12.22.zip

Do not unzip the above files, just copy

7. Reboot TouchPad:

Reboot TouchPad

Restart your Touchpad (Press and hold “power” button for a while, option Restart appears or you can follow as the above image shows). As soon as the screen is off, hold “volume up” for a while until the big USB icon appears.

Volum up

8, Use command terminal on Window:

This is the step to start ACMEInstaller.

1, Click Start Menu

2,Type “cmd” into the blank (don’t type the signal “)

3, a black window appears:

ACMEInstaller

1, Type “cd /” (don’t type the signal “)

2,Type “cd Program Files” and press Enter, go on typing “cd Palm, Inc” and press Enter.

3, Type as follows: (don’t type the signal “)

novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2″ and press Enter

4,Now you realize that nothing happens, wait until your Touchpad is installed automatically (When the icon “2 penguins” appears, the installation will finish)

5, After being installed automatically, Touchpad will restart.

6, The screen displays Dualboot (You can use “volume up” “volume down” to move Webos restart options or CM9 (Android 4.0.3)

Video Android 4.0 ICS on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0)

Images Android 4.0 ICS on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0)

Android 4.0 ICS on the HP TouchPad

Android 4.0 ICS on the HP TouchPad

Update Instruction for steps 1 – 8:

1. double click on UniversalNovacomInstaller and follow instructions to extract and install. Then copy ACMEInstaller2 file into same directory where novacom.exe is installed in on Win7.
2. remember to create “cminstall” folder on HP Touchpad main folder when copying files over.

* I forgot and it stated Power off when ready after lots of files displaying on HPtouchpad screen, the read through the last few sentence, it stated cannot find “cminstall” files.  I pressed and hold ON/OFF button and pressed “Home”; then it seems able to power off. For a moment thought I am stuck with that Linux screen. Create “cminstall” folder on HPtouchpad using USB mode again, copy files over and try again.

3. Upon resetting from device info, then upon bootup, press power and up to set HPtouchpad to USB mode, then plug back USB cable to Win7. Note Win7 cannot see any USB drive as before after this reset, the USB mode. Think it is is “mem” mode as needed by ACMEInstaller2.

Then simply type in MSDOS:cd to directory where novacom.exe is installedcd C:\Program Files\Palm, IncC:\Program Files\Palm, Inc> novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2 and the screen starts with the linux stuffs; and extracting those files that we put in “cminstall” folder.

4. It auto reboots and the screen goes to boot prompt, it counts down and booted to cyanogenmod.

5. Win7 still not able to see any USB drive as USB cable is still connected.

6. Follow through till it scan for WIFI connection and password setup, next till finished!

7. Cheers to the HPtouchpad Andriod version.

8. Press power and reboot. Then press up button to select webOS, then press home button. Back to hp webOS. All files created in webOS are intact.

Note: I actually copied these 5 files as not sure if needed the “recovery-clockwork-tenderloin-1012″ or just the “update-cwm_tenderloin-1012″…

- gapps-ics-20120317-signed
- update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha2-fullofbugs
(tempted to try - update-cm-9.0.0-tenderloin-20120412-0800-signed but not yet as this is the first time doing it)
- moboot_0.3.5
- recovery-clockwork-tenderloin-1012
- update-cwm_tenderloin-1012

Now “cminstall” folder is left with only ”recovery-clockwork-tenderloin-1012″ file intact.  Must I delete it? I am not sure. Everytime, after disconnect using Win7 “Eject webOS-device” and after “..can be safely removed from computer” message pops up. Then when I remove the physical USB cable from Win7, hptouchpad always complains that hurts. Next time please unmount the drive from the desktop.” and goes back to webOS.

I am booting back to CyanogenMod though still not sure how to backup and copy files created in webOS into Win7. Will Andriod complains the same as webOS? Guess that’s ok.

Update 06/6/2012

Additional links GAPPS-ics-20120317-signed.zip updates and fixes on 17/03/2012

And Links ROM Alpha 2 CM9 for Touchpad

Incoming search terms:

• moboot_0 3 5 zip
  • gapps 4 0 3 11 12 22 zip
  • update-cm-9 0 0-RC0-alpha0 5-Touchpad-fullofbugs zip
  • 4 gapps 4 0 3 11 12 22 zip
  • update-cm-9 0 0-rc0-touchpad-alpha0 5-fullofbugs zip download
  • acmeinstaller2 download
  • update-cm-9 0 0-rc0-touchpad-alpha0 5-fullofbugs zip
  • ACMEInstaller2 moboot_0 3 5 zip
  • update-cwm_tenderloin-1012 zip download
  • yhs-002

67 Responses to “How to install Android 4.0.3 (CM9 Alpha 0.5 newest) on HP TouchPAD”

1. Joshua
    April 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

if i already have cm7 on my touchpad can i just flash this newer rom through rom manager?

2. steven
    April 7, 2012 at 10:12 am #

how do screen capture or screenshot??

3. Tony
    April 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

1. Simply hold down Home and then press the Power button, and BOOM, you’ve got a screenshot
    2. Press and hold the home button for 2 seconds and touch the popup that says, ” Take Screenshot”. Done.

Tripple click the home button. Done.

Press both volume buttons at the same time. Done. That doesn’t even take into account the endless combination of gestures.
    3. Or you have to squish your fingers together to hit two volume keys close together.

The triple click might work but then… Why not just use the power & home buttons…

4. tamer
    April 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

its working very very very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

but the camera not working

5. Ildefonso
    April 12, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

When big USB icon appeared my screen got frozen. Any idea what to do? tks

April 13, 2012 at 4:12 am #

Hi. You can press and hold 2 button POWER + HOME is about 20-30s. After your hp can restart nomal.

6. rolo
    April 13, 2012 at 3:22 am #

followed all the the steps and installed correctly and running but I don’t have the app store icon. no access to the ecosystem is worse than webos by iteslf… any ideas what I can do to get that to load properly

April 13, 2012 at 5:05 am #

Hi rolo. Pls restart again. press and hold 2 button POWER + HOME is about 20-30s for restart.

7. Oar
    April 15, 2012 at 2:23 am #

Hello
    Thanks for the detailed instructions, they wroked very well.
    Can you please post step by step insttructions on how to install the Android Marketplace App ?
    Here are my version details:
    Android 4.0.3
    Cyanogenmode version 9.0.0 RCO touchpad alpha 2
    build date 2/20/2012 13:59:21 CST
    build number IML74K

8. Kenny
    April 15, 2012 at 5:55 am #

I have the installation time is over 1 hours. Is that normal ? or I should keep waiting

• Sean
      April 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Me too… did it end up installing after an hour or did you re-try?

9. marshall
    April 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

when i get to the terminal portion it reports that it is “unable to find device” any thoughts?

• marshall
      April 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

never mind, i got ‘er done. this awesome!! thanks guys!!

April 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

what’s step are you on ?
      please give some more information like picture upload …

10. Vineet
    April 21, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Hi, thanks a lot for the provided info. This helped me successfully installing the ISC. But after installing i am wondering if i can install the android apps as well on my touchpad. When i am connecting TP in ISC mode my laptop is not detecting it so not sure if i can install any app…

11. Sean
    April 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Did it end up installing after an hour or did you re-try?

12. Sean
    April 24, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

I was able to get it to work, but am I the only one with a crashing gallery?

13. John
    April 25, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I was able to install this successfully, but now I’m wondering how I download apps to my device. Any ideas?

The whole reason I did this was so that I could watch Netflix on my Touchpad.

14. Mark
    May 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Not sure what’s going wrong. But I’ve been following the directions and when i get to the command:

1, Type “cd /” (don’t type the signal “)

3, Type as follows: (don’t type the signal “)

“novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2″ and press Enter

it tells me the "Unable to Find Device"

any ideas what's going on?

15. Joe
    May 7, 2012 at 12:29 am #

Thanks for the directions. Can I do all of this on a Mac or do I need windows?

May 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Hi Joe,
      for mac users : follow this tutorial but put the Acmeinstaller2 in /opt/nova/bin

then instead of step 8 launch the Terminal and then type this :
      cd /opt/nova/bin && ./novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

16. Lindsay
    May 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

1, Type “cd /” (don’t type the signal “)

3, Type as follows: (don’t type the signal “)

“novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2″ and press Enter

it tells me the "novacom.exe " is not a recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    not sure where i am going wrong?

May 9, 2012 at 1:18 am #

Hi, i don’t know what’s going wrong.
      Pls restart my directions again.

• Lindsay
      June 12, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Tony,
      I have started process again and still have the same issue as before I can’t seem to get the installer working from the CMD screen.
      It is now comming up with this error message
      Bad or error response from other side: `err -1 bad command string`

Not sure where i am going wrong with the process?

17. Michael
    May 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

It works well finally. As it is my first time to update the system, just wondering why the camera is not working and also the movie watching is not smoothly (including youtube online). Is there any suggestion to fix these bugs? Thanks ahead!

May 13, 2012 at 4:46 am #

Hi michael,
      1. No camera fix per the CM9 guys on their site – may never be.
      2. i think watching videos with flash is still not working very well with this version.

18. Jared
    May 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Finally put Android on my TouchPad last night. Thank you for the instructions. Just a couple of issues.
    First, the camera doesn’t seem to be working but, after reading the other posts it doesn’t look like it is really working for anyone.
    Second, the speakers seem to bug out when the screen sleeps. If I don’t let the screen sleep all sound plays fine.
    Third and last, I am not able to play videos on YouTube. I did download Adobe Flash Player 11 from the app store and still not having any luck.

Any information on these issues would be much appreciated.

19. Jared
    May 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Oh, one more thing.
    Is there a driver I can download on my computer for it to recognize the Android OS? So far I have been unsuccessful in connecting it. It does still work if I boot it back to the WebOS.

May 13, 2012 at 4:50 am #

Hey Jared,
      Yes, you can download.
      This is easy to fix.

1) Go to Settings
      2) Go to Storage
      3) Touch on menu on upper right corner and select USB Computer Connection
      4) Make sure the box next to Media Device (MTP) is checked.

20. Joel
    May 13, 2012 at 2:47 am #

Okay I am a bit lost. Had Droid on my Pad and now want to update with a more recent Tenderloin version. So I got it back into TouchPad and all I had in my cminstall was aokp_tenderloin_milestone-4.zip. Do I reload all the files you outlined into that folder and reboot again?

May 13, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Hey joel,
      yes, you can reload again

21. Ben
    May 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

I just completed the install. WORKS well, except for the camera and voice recorder. Any suggestions? Also when HP connected to my PC running android all i see is FOUND NEW HW MTP device. Windows explorer doesn’t see anything, Is that normal? VERY good instructions BTW…

May 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Fix FOUND NEW HW MTP device
      1) Go to Settings
      2) Go to Storage
      3) Touch on menu on upper right corner and select USB Computer Connection
      4) Make sure the box next to Media Device (MTP) is checked.

• Ben
        May 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

i did that, still no go.. what about the camera?

May 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Camera is still not working with this version

• Ben
        May 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Now it says found new hw, cm tenderloin. Then the pc ask to install hw device sw or driver.

May 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Try turn off Debugging.

• Ben
            May 14, 2012 at 2:31 am #

Ok, how do i do that? Is that in the Hp or PC?

• Ben
            May 15, 2012 at 4:45 am #

OK, that did it, i found the debugging and turned it off. works good. Thanks…

22. Hanish
    May 14, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Hi,
    I successfully installed the Android without any issues. However when the screen is auto locked (after 1 min of inactivity), the touch screen stops working. It does not allow me to drag the lock. Due to this I have to restart the tablet. Do you know why it is happening.

Appreciate your help and for a details steps provided for installation.

Thanks,
    Hanish

23. Hesitant
    May 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

WOW .. really? I’m kinda of hesitant to do Anything following these instructions..
    Just because of the 1st LINE I read.. then I stopped halfway thru it. If errors/bugs are in the 1st SENTENCE .. I”m not gonna attempt this one. I’ll find a different one to follow.
    HINT: . it’s 05/16/2012 today .. and the 1st line says:
    Update: December 23, 2012: CM9 Alpha 0.5

NOW .. when your giving folks step by step instructions. 1st things 1st. if your gonna put a date in there least make it the correct YEAR for gawds sakes.. there are gonna be a LOT OF confused folks out there at Christmas time later this year trying to find that NEW ALpha 0.5 version LOL ..

IF that lines wrong.. I gotta think there are other mistakes in here..

24. David
    May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Been hearing about the camera/mic will not work? Any update on this?

May 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Don’t have any update on this, wait for next version

25. Diana
    May 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

everything works Gud !!

expt the camera nd music :( (

need help

26. Kent
    May 22, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I’m having trouble connecting to wifi now. any advice?

May 22, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Hi kent,
      Try changing wifi from chanel 11 to 6.

• Kent
        May 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

How do I do that? I can’t find the option to change that.

27. Rags
    May 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

I am getting error on running the ACMEInstaller2 command

C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2

novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

Pls Help

28. May 28, 2012 at 7:30 am #

I like this site very much, Its a real nice office to read and get info .

29. abdallah
    May 31, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Is there any way to connect USB flash to touch bad via cable

30. Anthony
    June 3, 2012 at 1:21 am #

I am getting error on running the ACMEInstaller2 command

C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2
    failed to connect to server

Any suggestions?

June 22, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Had the same problem after applying the update.

My fix was to go back and substitute the uninstaller program (available at http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad/alpha2/ACMEUninstaller).

To use, simply download and unzip the Uninstaller. Then connect the TouchPad to your computer via USB. Then restart the TouchPad with the volume-up key held until you see the large, white USB logo. Then, issue this command on your Terminal/Command Line on your computer:
      $ novacom boot mem:// < ACMEUninstaller

Then I reinstalled Android from scratch as described above – but without the battery charge update.

Has been working perfectly ever since.

31. patrick
    June 10, 2012 at 7:00 am #

i am trying to install android 4.0.3 on my touchpad but unfortunately i keep getting a can not connect to server error on the command terminal after typing“novacom.exe boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller2″ and press Entercan you please tell me what i am doing worng ?

32. patrick moise
    June 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

i have successfully installed Andriod on my hptouchpad but it’s not running.i dont get the double boot screen option after reboot,i can only reboot webos.any suggestions please.

33. Lucas
    June 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

Hi, Android appears to be installed successfully but im stuck at the lock screen, with fish swimming in the background and have no idea what the security pattern is?

I was never prompted to created a pattern!

I’ve rebooted to no avail…

Any suggestions?

34. Jenna
    June 15, 2012 at 3:18 am #

Hi, there’s no marketplace or any other important apps showing up and I’ve already rebooted 3 times. Did I do something wrong?

35. kokoeka
    June 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

tony pls direct me to where i can take my touchpad to for the installation am in fairfax veginia. thanks.

June 22, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I’m so sorry.
      I don’t know about this…

36. kokoeka
    June 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

pls kindly send the direction to my mail adress thanks still waiting.

37. Adam
    June 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

I, too, am stuck at <ACMEInstaller2…please help!

June 22, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Did you put the AcmeInstaller2 file into your Novacom (Palm) folder on your computer?

With the tutorial on this site together with the link posted here, you can’t go wrong :
      or
      Check the file size for ACMEInstaller2. It should be around 8.7MB. If its only a few KB, then the one you have won’t work. I ran into this as well and noticed the file size was off. I downloaded the correct one (file size was correct), and now it’s working.

38. Bret
    June 30, 2012 at 12:16 am #

While in android mode apps are being downloases to internal storage with a capacity of about 1.3gb. The remaining storage (9.5gb) is being listed as sd card, and would like to download apps to this but don’t know how.

39. Andrew
    July 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

im trying to install novacom but it says installing drivers and initializing but the status bar doesn`t move. i also have the latest version of java so im not sure why its not working. any suggestionsÉ

40. Jim
    July 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

I’m interested in running a medical program called practice fusion that is cloud based and the current webOS operating system and the chip are just too slow for it to work. Are people still overclocking the chip or do you think that installing Android system or both would be best????

thanks for your help

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [Videos] How to install jcsullins Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on the HP TouchPad | Hp touchpad androrid - August 4, 2012

[...] to install Jelly Bean and keep your CyanogenMod9 [...]